Thursday, October 2, 2008

a TRIBUTE to my sweet Grandpa...


So how do I even begin to pay tribute 
to a person who sculpted
such a huge part of who I am today?

My Grandpa, Russell Dean Shepherd, was a man of 
extreme TALENT,
immense LOVE,
witty HUMOR
& quiet, firm TESTIMONY. 
 
 
I will be forever grateful that he gave me the 
eyes to see the 
beauty, expression and vibrance of the art world 
and the ears to hear 
Mr. Miles Davis and the world of Jazz.

 
I will miss the "LOOPTIE-DOOS" on his lap, 
the lunches every Tuesday afternoon, 
 pouring over his paintings and the checking out the latest "masterpiece under construction",
laughing at his "under the radar" humor 
(while trying to talk him out of his talk radio philosophies)
& most of all his sweet kisses and hugs!!


My Grandpa touched my life in about every way possible and even in his passing he continued to do so. He had been writing a life history for quite sometime and he finished it not too long before he died. On the last page he wrote his last words and a little bit of advice for each of us. I first read these words at his viewing and I absolutely broke down. I was touched beyond words, because his words were perfect!! I could just hear him reciting them, with his cute little grin and his baby-blue eyes a' shinin'. The words were absolutely what I needed to hear. I needed that message...right then...at that moment, I needed those words for MY LIFE!! Some how, my Grandpa wrote the words that I needed. His life continues to bless my own, even when he is gone from my sight. Thank you Grandpa. I love you and I can't wait for the day when I will get that last hug that I missed.

I thought I would share his last words with you, for I know there is lifetime of wisdom and love behind them. Hopefully they will touch you as they have forever changed me...

"To everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven.
A time to blow your chorus
and a time to put your horn away.
A time to paint your masterpiece
and a time to put your brushes away.
A time to be born
 and a time to die.

I, Russell Dean Shepherd, realizing that I have reached the ending of my life do lay my pen aside and make an end to my writings. Peace be with you my friend, and I will see you in a season or so. In the meantime, some advice...

LOVE thyself.
You cannot LOVE someone else if you cannot love thyself.
  LOVE your loved ones with an unconditional and charitable LOVE and care for one another.
Family is your most prized possession. 
LOVE your fellow men.
And LOVE the gospel of Jesus Christ and make it an important part of your life.
LOVE IS THE SECRET!

Click your Heels,  pull the curtain, & put out the light.
I am out of here!

This the last day, my friend!
...I THOUGHT THEY WOULD NEVER END!"






12 comments:

Nicole said...

What a sweet tribute Brooke. I am lucky to have not lost any of my grandparents yet and I dread the day. It's neat the your grandpa taught you so much.

Anonymous said...

What amazing words! Glad that they have helpped you. It's hard losing grandparents...Phil is going through it right now with his grandmother. I hope you're holding up and we'll see you in a week or so.

Bree said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard to lose a grandparent. It sounds like he was a great man. I am sure he will be greatly missed by all who knew him. What a nice tribute!

Natalie Redd said...

Brooke, I did not know you lost your Grandpa. My eyes were filling with tears as I read your tribute. I am so sorry for your loss, but what a beautiful message he has left for you. It inspires me to want to leave something as beautiful for my family when it is time for me to pass on. Otherwise, I hope all is well with you and your family. Hannah was just talking about CiCi and Ilie this morning...miss ya and love ya!

JO said...

sounds like a neat, neat man. Thank you for sharing his last words with us. I am sorry for your loss. we miss you here in Halifax

Julia said...

your post made me tear up. you are so great brooke, your words made me think about my grandparents. i am very grateful for them too.

Ashley said...

That was an amazing tribute! He sounds like an amazing person! Thank you for sharing that, his words were perfect!

The Sjoblom Family said...

Wow!!! You are an amazing writer. I think your words were just as inspirational and heartfelt as his. Take care....I love you!!!

Sherice said...

Brooke, you are awesome. What a darling man your grandpa was. I am so sorry for your loss. That is such a hard thing to go through. It doesn't matter how old or sick they may be, it is never easy to say good bye. Luckily for us we have the gospel and the knowledge that we will indeed see our loved ones again. What a great blessing! Hang in there and thanks for sharing his message.

Katie said...

Hi Brooke! I didn't realize you had a blog page posted on the fam face book. I have one for us too. It will be fun to keep in touch and see pictures of you guys more often. Your little girls are so darling. They are getting so big! I haven't seen you guys since Christmas last year. Hopefully we'll get to see you guys again soon. The holidays are finally coming up again. Hope you are all well. xoxox

Katie said...

p.s. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandpa. I have lost all of my grandparents and I know how hard it can be. It is comforting to know we'll be with them again : )

Mindi D said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. It's never easy to lose someone who was such a huge part of your life. Your tribute was amazing and i'm sure he's smiling from above knowing that you cared so much for him! We missed getting together while you were home, you'll have to let us know when you're coming for Christmas so we can get together. I know Kurt misses seeing Mark. Take care and keep in touch, even if it is through blogging!